South Central Behavioral Services serves as the managing entity for two independent housing complexes in Hastings, Nebraska.
- New Beginnings and New Horizons are both subsidized housing for low-income disabled persons, funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Applicants must be disabled by a major mental illness
- Applicants must meet HUD standards for low income
- All apartments are 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom, with one handicapped-adaptable apartment at each property.
- Rent is calculated annually and is equal to approximately 30% of each tenant’s gross income.
- Application waiting list is typically short, but wait times may be long due to low apartment turn-over and priority applicants
- Priority for renting vacant apartments is given to certain applicants:
- Persons who are homeless or near-homeless
- Persons currently residing in sub-standard housing
- Persons whose living situation currently places them an inappropriately-high level of care (e.g. inpatient hospitalization or residential treatment facilities)
- The management of New Beginnings and New Horizons may be contacted at 402-463-5684
A copy of our printable Application for Housing may be downloaded here. Instructions for application submission are included on first page. Please print single-sided and in color if possible. Please note again that we can only offer housing to low-income persons disabled by a major mental illness, and that there is typically a short waiting list when apartments become available.